As harvest comes to a close, we want to thank all of our listeners and readers for joining us during this year’s Watch it Grow Crop Tour with Latham Hi-Tech Seeds and WHO radio. We hope you’ll join us again next year for season 2 with more crop progress updates, tips and advice from Latham Hi-Tech Seeds.
At face value, it looks like if you have a family farm, you’ll be exempt. However, if the family farm is incorporated, you’re not exempt if someone other than the child’s parents own stock. Our concern is that these rule changes will reach further than we might even know. The proposed regulations also don’t take into account the many faces of modern family farms. Not everyone fits the government’s traditional definition of family farms; today’s family farming operations might be grandparents and grandchildren or uncle and aunts, nieces and nephews.
We hope you – as well as your family members and friends – will contact the Department of Labor and let them know how detrimental these changes would be to your family. To submit comments, click here and reference RIN 1235-AA06.
For additional background information on the proposed rule changes, see these blog posts:
- Comment by Dec. 1 on how proposed changes to “child labor” regulations would impact your farm: http://bit.ly/ueDC92
- Farm cores help build character & work ethic. If you agree, please contact the Department of Labor by Dec 1: http://bit.ly/uCEp0X
- FFA & 4-H projects could be affected by proposed “child labor” rules: http://bit.ly/uCEp0X
- Child labor? Oh, please! Every day is “bring your child to work day” on the farm.” http://bit.ly/rWd2My
- Teen Farm Labor is Vital in Rural Areas: http://bit.ly/t5j65s
- Proposed “child labor” rules include gray areas. Help common sense (aka “grey matter”) prevail. Take a look: http://bit.ly/tU2qMw
There’s big news across the seed industry! Genuity® VT Double PRO® RIB Complete™ recently received registration from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
This is great news for Latham Hi-Tech Seeds customers as they will have another true, single-bag refuge option (RIB) for managing above-ground pests. Genuity VT2 PRO RIB Complete, as well as Genuity® SmartStax® RIB Complete, will be broadly available to farmers in 2012.
Latham’s Genuity VT2 PRO RIB Complete is a blend of 95% Genuity VT Double Pro and 5% refuge (non-BT) seed, delivering the lowest refuge in the corn growing area for above ground pests. VT2 PRO is actually a triple-stack product as it contains two traits for above-ground protection of pests like European Corn Borer, Corn Earworm and Fall Armyworm, in addition to the Roundup Ready trait. I look at this product as a different kind of triple stack, one that is specifically made for rotated ground and not for corn-on-corn situations.
Contact your local Latham® dealer or call our office at 1-877-GO-LATHAM to order your Latham Genuity VT2 PRO today!
The following Latham hybrids are still available as Latham Genuity VT Double Pro RIB Complete: LH 3557 VT2 PRO, LH 4227 VT2 PRO, LH 5465 VT2 PRO and LH 5875 VT2 PRO. All four of these products are tremendous new genetics that offer fantastic top-end yields in rotated ground.