It was a pleasure for the Latham Hi-Tech Seeds team to host Iowa States coaches on their “home turf” today when the Cyclone Tailgate Tour Bus rolled into Alexander, Iowa, about 3 p.m. About 50 fans – including Latham seed growers and customers – braved the rain and donned their Cardinal & Gold for a chance to meet with ISU’s renowned coaching staff.
Those representing the ISU Athletics Department today included: Head Football Coach, Paul Rhoads; Men’s Head Basketball Coach, Fred Hoiberg; Assistant Women’s Basketball Coach, Jodi Steyer; Head Wrestling Coach, Kevin Jackson; Head Golf Coach, Andrew Tank; and Head Volleyball Coach, Christy Johnson-Lynch; Athletic Director Jamie Pollard; and John Walters, radio play-by-play announcer of the Iowa State Cyclones.
John Latham, president of Latham Hi-Tech Seeds, kicked off the tailgate by welcoming everyone and explaining his family’s Iowa State legacy. “I’m so proud to be part of a third generation, family-owned seed company. I’m equally as proud to be a third generation Iowa Stater,” he said.
John’s grandfather, Willard, and his twin brother, Wilbur, took turns working their way through college at Iowa State. One brother attended classes for a quarter while the other brother worked full time. Then they’d “switch places” each quarter until at last they had both graduated. Willard went home to farm and eventually started Latham Seed Company.
Latham Hi-Tech Seeds continues our family’s tradition of supporting ISU. We’re proud to sponsor the Latham Locker Room Show, a post-game show where analysts, coaches and players share their thoughts about the game.
Today we had the pleasure of sharing our thoughts with ISU Athletic Department staff and fellow Iowa State fans. Thanks to everyone who came to Alexander for tailgating fun and games. In addition to a bean bag toss, today’s event featured tailgating fare such as decorated sugar cookies and chips with home-made dips. These dips are perfect for summer picnics, too!
BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP
- 2, 10-ounce cans chunk chicken, drained
- 2, 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup Ranch dressing
- 3/4 cup pepper sauce (such as Frank’s Red Hot®)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1, 8-ounce box chicken-flavored crackers
- Heat chicken and hot sauce in a skillet over medium heat, until heated through.
- Stir in cream cheese and ranch dressing. Cook, stirring until well blended and warm.
- Mix in half of the shredded cheese, and transfer the mixture to a slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top, cover, and cook on Low setting until hot and bubbly.
- Serve with celery sticks and crackers.
- 1 can yellow whole kernel corn
- 1 can white (sweet or shoepeg) corn
- ½ can ROTEL, or 1 can of Mexicorn
- ½ a medium-sized onion
- 4 oz. shredded pepper-jack cheese
- ½ bag Mexican blend cheese shredded
- ½ c. sour cream (may need more depending on consistency)
- ½ mayonnaise (may need more depending on consistency but add in equal parts to sour cream)
- ½ tablespoon of lime juice (or more to taste)
- Garlic salt (to taste)
- Fresh cilantro minced (to taste)
- Mix, chill and serve!